What is ‘Global English?’, ‘How to adapt with it and why?’, lots of questions may arise and lots of eyebrows might be raised asking “English is English, What is Global English?”. The term ‘Global English’ refers to the use of the form of English language that has become a medium of communication across the world or you can call it the ‘Lingua Franca’ of the non-native English speakers. It would be perfect to call it, ‘The International English’. So many languages have seen adopting new words in its’ vocabulary, the same language with different vocabularies and different functional forms are existing around the world. The same is the case with the ‘English language’. The English language has seen to adopt a lot of words in its’ vocabulary and also has accepted different ‘functional forms’ of it across the world. Deviating from the actual ‘Puritan British English’ language, American English has become more popular across the world and that has been accepted as the ‘Standard English Language’. That is all about ‘Global English Communication’. With the emergence of the latest technical device ‘English’ language has adopted many ‘shortcuts’ and ‘slangs’ in its’ vocabulary, but that is not the subject of our discussion, that falls in the class of ‘casual’ English. Our subject of discussion is confined informal English in the form of ‘Global English’ and also In this regard we should mention what famous Professor Martin A. Schell said “Global English is characterized by simpler sentence structure, less jargon, and no slang, thereby making it a viable global language for countless Web users whose native language is not considered important enough to merit a localization effort”. Now let’s clarify how to adapt ‘Global English Communication’ and why the needs are there.
1) For Higher Study abroad: Every year millions of students set sails to ‘Foreign’ English speaking countries’ for higher study. Those who are immigrating from ‘Non-English Speaking’ countries have to qualify through exams like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. These exams have a benchmark and set the tune of ‘English Communication’ in students. If the students are not proficient enough to communicate through ‘Global English’ or ‘International English’ they would have to face trouble at every step. Modern-day books and study materials also follow the tune of ‘International English’, so students are bound to follow the international English, i.e. the ‘Global English’.
2) For Expansion of Business: With more and more Globalization the export/import business has seen a flurry of expansion. Persons engaged in production-oriented businesses are more keen to bring home new and much-developed technology from foreign countries. Here comes the need of communicating in ‘Global/International English’, a silver-tongued speaker with proficiency in International English would easily manage to communicate to any foreign business house with ease for serving his purpose. But what about a non-proficient English speaker with no exposure to ‘International English’ or ‘Global English’? Not being able to communicate properly he may lose a sure deal or might be misunderstood as well as under-rated by foreign houses and eventually dampening the spirit of expansion.
3) For Working abroad: If any person manages to get an overseas job in a foreign country, be it ‘English speaking’ or ‘Non-English speaking’ country, apart from his skill-set in the desired field his proficiency in international English would be put to test as well. There are definite reasons behind that, any employee is usually given a specific job. For working smartly enough, communication with other employees and might be with some other companies are of basic requirements. One with poor communication skills bound to baffle or face confounding situations that might harm the companies’ reputation and it’s business as well. So the foreign companies test candidates’ proficiency in global English before appointing him and its’ definitely a no-no situation for a person lacking in proper communication skill, be it verbal or be it written.
4) For working in an Executive Rank in the home country: If anybody is promoted to an executive rank or gets an appointment in a company as a designated person, he or she has to communicate with clients or corporate persons of other companies. As English has become an ‘Official language’ of not less than 53 countries and silently working as an ‘Official Language’ unofficially in many more countries, a person holding a good position in a reputed company or a multinational company must have the desired level of proficiency in English, i.e. in international English, though he is working in his home country.
5) For working in a company and dealing with foreign affairs: Needless to reiterate what have we discussed so far. A person who deals in foreign affairs is often sent to foreign tours for official purposes. To maintain and to highlight his companies’ status is put on his shoulders. Companies are well aware of that. naturally while choosing a person for shouldering the responsibility of dealing with foreign affairs as a whole, they are executed extreme caution. Thus in choosing the right person for the right post, the companies not only test the depth of knowledge of the candidates in his field of work but also test the proficiency of him in International English.
We have sighted only those reasons which are unavoidable, but apart from these any professionals, might be a doctor, a player, an artist, a singer or anybody with international reputations or having a strong desire for international reputation must have a certain level of depth in international English for achieving his goal of presenting himself before the world. Global English or International English does not have a whole lot of differences with the actual English language, it is rather a simplified form of English that can be accepted by anyone.
Hopefully, we are clear about the ‘Why’ part of the question. Now comes into discussion the ‘How to’ adapt to Global or International English. Actually, any person with a good depth of English language and a strong desire to adjust himself according to the need for trending English can train himself using the Internet. There are so many websites on the Internet that provide free stuff for reading and downloading. Studying these materials with a little bit of seriousness is not tough at all to catch the trend. Students who go for higher studies need to take special training from reputed institutions and need to get certified by authentic organizations who conduct the ‘Testing System’ of proficiency in English. Many established training centers provide training and supply study materials, CDs to make the students prepare and be eligible for qualifying in the tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc., which conduct the ‘Testing System’ of proficiency of English. Nowadays with global economy being consolidated than ever, large companies are more keen to spread their wings across the world and the stock market, commodity market, currency markets, etc. are so closely tied up with each other, a need of the situation is that a common language would be chosen to make the flow of information easy and effortless and thus it has brought forth the ‘International English’ or the ‘Global English’